We are still "under the weather" here... well, not exactly "under the weather," but definitely not well. Noah woke up yesterday with a slight temperature and runny nose. So, I figured it could be that he caught the cold that I have or it could be teething. It looks like he has two molars coming in. Either way, I am instituting a mandatory hand washing, no kissing rule in effect until all signs of illness goes away. We keep passing it around, and I have had enough.
Noah had his 18 month doctor's appointment yesterday. He weighed 27 pounds (75%) and measured 33.5 inches (90%). The first question the doctor asked is "any words?" No. No words. Lots of talking and babbling, but no consistent words. She gave me a speech referral, but said she was doing it more for peace of mind than because she thought something was wrong. She pointed out that he does speak with inflection, so even though I don't know what Noah is saying, apparently, he has some idea. She has a son who didn't start talking until he was two, and she said at two, he had a speech explosion. So, she thinks that will happen to Noah. It's amazing how less worried I am at 18 months than I was at 15 months. I guess I'm used to it now and I have stopped comparing him to other kids. I am pretty sure that there is bound to be an explosion at any time now.
I did get on the phone today and call a couple of speech therapists. I learned two things. One they are expensive, and two most don't take our insurance. I left a couple of messages and decided to talk it over with Dean tonight, if we really wanted to get him evaluated now.
I got a return call from one of the therapists tonight. She was really nice, although, she is expensive and doesn't take our insurance. She spent about 15 minutes on the phone with me, asking specific questions about Noah and what he does and doesn't do and say. It was nice to have her ear for a little while, and honestly tell her all the reasons I worry and all the reasons why I don't. The take home message I got was that he's a boy, he's active, and at 18 months, he's still in the normal range. She said that five years ago, she didn't get kids for speech delays until they were 4, but now it's all about catching it early. She told me that she didn't think he needed an evaluation now, but if in three more months, he still wasn't talking, then I could bring him in for one. So, there you go, I guess time will tell.