Thursday, June 10, 2010

God Will Save Me

Have you heard the story about the old man sitting on his porch watching the rain fall?

Well, the rain starts falling so hard and fast that pretty soon it is coming over the porch and into his house. A rescue boat comes by and the people shout out, "You can't stay here you have to come with us."

The old man just shakes his head and shouts back, "No, God will save me." So the boat leaves.

In no time, the water is up to the second floor.  And another rescue boat comes by, and again the people aboard shout for the old man to come with them.

"No," the man says, "God will save me." So the boat leaves again.

An hour later the water is up to the roof and a third rescue boat approaches the old man, and tries to get him to come with them.


And, again the old man refuses to leave stating, "God will save me." So the boat leaves him again.


The man drowns and goes to heaven.  When he sees God he asks him, "Lord, why didn't you save me?"


God replies, "You idiot! I tried. I sent three boats after you!!"

Since mid-April, we have been trying to settle Noah's school situation for the fall.  To make a long story short, there is this one school, that we were really hoping to get him in.  We went through the entire admission process, all the while feeling that Noah was a perfect fit for the program and that this was a place that could really help him.  We sat at the admissions meeting in early May and were crushed to hear that they didn't think he was ready.  But he might be ready for the fall, they tell us.  But they can't hold him a spot.  So they suggest enrolling him in their affiliated therapy center over the summer where they would keep tabs on him, and determine whether he has progressed enough for fall enrollment.  So, we have an intake with the clinical director, then we meet again to try out a therapy class, then she gives our name to another person in the center for different services, and now it's today where I spent the morning at another intake to determine some placement in the therapy center, which turns out, they don't have any openings.  Are you kidding me? 

The thing about it is that we have other options.  We have an excellent occupational therapy.  We have started him in some social skills therapy.  We are consistently doing speech therapy services.  We've had his admissions meeting for the public school system and he can start in the fall if we choose. It's a great program.  But I just thought that this school/program would be THE answer, and I'm disappointed and frustrated. I just don't see how anyone can look at my little man and not see so much potential in him and just want to snatch him up and make him whole. 

But, I don't really think that this can be anymore out of my hands, and I definitely don't want to be the guy that drowns.  So, it is in the hands of the Lord.

3 comments:

MHT said...

Don't be so down. Everything happens for a reason even when we don't understand what that reason is. This one helps me when I'm feeling frustration.

Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things that I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Amen

Blair said...

Maybe that school only sounded like a good fit, but really wasn't (you know the old saying, "He looks good on paper, but...").

Chin up, God has amazing things planned for you little man. I just know it.

Lindsey said...

Everytime I think that I have it all figured out, and then my perfect plan doesn't work like it's supposed to, God always fits the pieces together in a much different and better way than I ever could have thought up on my own. I know you're down right now, and I can't imagine how frustrated you must feel. However, God has a plan. And even if you don't know what it is yet, it's a good one. Just trust him, and everything will fall into place.

Noah is so lucky to have you as his mom - one of the reasons he has come so far this year is because of you. You are such a great advocate for him, always looking for how you can help him, push him, bring him further. Regardless of what academic program he will be in this fall, he will have you - and that's what is most important.

Hugs, Mama - I'm sorry you are sad, but I'm praying for you, and I know that God has a perfect place for Noah this fall . . .