Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Kinda Sorta Well Check-Up

With birthdays come doctor's visits... at least when you're a child, so Monday Noah was scheduled for his three-year well checkup.  On Sunday morning, I realized that the next day's checkup would not be so well since Noah was running fever.  How high?  I have no idea.  My son no longer wants to have his temperature taken, and although I am not opposed to holding him down when the instance warrants, he was not feeling great, and it was obvious he had a temp, so I figured I would cut him some slack.  On the same note, my son no longer wants to take medicine.  This blame I place squarely on the shoulders of McNeil who went and had all the Children's Tylenol and Motrin ripped off the shelves, so I am stuck buying generic brands that I am convinced do not taste the same or as well to Noah.  This just adds on to the unfun-ness of Noah being sick. 

Anyway, Monday dawned and Noah seemed to be feeling a bit better.  According to the hand to the forehead test, no sign of fever.  So, after laying low most of the morning, we headed to his 3:15 PM doctor's appointment sans nap.  I had a feeling that Noah was not going to be too happy about going to the doctor, and I wasn't too far off base.  She was able to get his weight, but had to delay the height because Noah refused to stand against the wall to be measured and completely flipped out when I tried to lay him on the examining table.  The nurse decided to try again later.  She took his temperature while I held him down.  Not fun.  She looked at me and decided to forgo getting his blood pressure because it was obvious it would be high.  She did say that she would have to get a height, so I forced him down on the examine table, and she measured.  Then I mentioned that he had been sick.  She reviewed his chart and saw that he had just been seen for strep, so she wanted to recheck him... you see where this is going.  Good night... this was a painful office visit.  And, this was all before he even saw the doctor.  Who, when she finally came in, had to listen with her stethoscope and check his ears and throat.  He needs one more vaccine, but I figured I would go back to get it when he is feeling better.  Enough trauma in poor Noah's life for one day, and Momma's...  do you have any idea how difficult it is to hold down a 3 year old who weighs in the 98% and measures in the 95%.  Man, he's strong.  I do have to say that for all the kicking and thrashing and crying that he did for every little thing, as long as we weren't touching him, he was a perfect angel at the doctor.  Yay 3!

1 comment:

Kyra said...

Ugh, poor Noah! And even poorer Mama! No strep throat is good. I think our boys are such angels for Dr. D'Lovely because she's so pretty! :)