Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Snow Day that Wasn't

Noah 's school was closed on Friday.  Houston was expecting record low temps and icy conditions, so the city went into somewhat of a lock down.  All schools closed.  Roads closed.  Businesses closed.  The snow never showed up, but there was lots of ice.  Noah and I spent the day at home.  Dean wasn't so lucky.  His normally 30 minute took him closer to 2 hours.  He even played good Samaritan with some other commuters to help a lady whose car had spun out on an icy bridge.  I saw on the news that there were over 800 wrecks in the city.  For once, I was happy to not be on the roads.  It had been quite a long time since Noah and I had a entire day at home, and aside from feeling a bit of cabin fever, we enjoyed some nice rest and relaxation. 

We watched an insane amount of television, because, really what else were we going to do.  I finally convinced Noah to watch a real movie.  Toy Story 2.  I skipped to the middle, to avoid the Buzz Lightyear fight sequence and Woody's kidnapping, and he seemed to like it much better than previous attempts.  In fact, he insisted on watching Toy Story 3 next.  I indulged him because, really, what else were we going to do. 

I did go into the secret toy stash and surprise Noah with a Green Eggs and Ham game.  It is a little more advanced then his favorite Cat in the Hat game, but it didn't stop us from playing it over and over again. 

Nothing says stuck indoors all day, quite like a tent made out of a sheet and two chairs.  Noah seemed to really love his new hangout. 

And, of course, what better way to warm up on a chilly day than with a big pot of Gumbo.

No comments: