Friday, February 11, 2011

Sweet Little Story

Every night before bed we read books.  And every night our last book is "Goodnight Moon."  We alternate between Noah reading it and Momma reading it, but once it's finished, the following conversation always happens:

Noah: "Ready for chocolate milk?"
Me: "Ready for chocolate milk?"
Noah: "Are you ready?"
Me: "I'm ready.  Are you ready?"
Noah: "I'm ready."

And, then he snuggles into his pillow, pulls the covers up to his chin and waits for his chocolate milk. 

Tonight as I was feeding Noah dinner, I realized that we were out of milk.  Noah always goes to bed with chocolate milk.  Always.  And, since getting him to bed can sometimes be a bit frustrating, I was wondering if this was going to result in a difficult evening.  I did briefly think about running to pick some up or even asking my friend down the street.  Instead, I decided to let Noah know that tonight, he was going to bed with apple juice.  I'm pregnant.  The other two options required way too much effort.  I told him that when we read "Goodnight Moon, tonight, instead of saying "ready for chocolate milk," we were going to say, "ready for apple juice."  We talked about it a bit more.  I showed him the empty milk carton.  I told him we were going to bed with apple juice.  And, I just hoped for the best. 

So, fast forward to bedtime.  As I read the last line of "Goodnight Moon," Noah looks at me and says, "ready for apple juice."  Sweet baby boy!  One proud momma!  And, even prouder to say that he went to sleep without getting out of bed for the third night in a row.  Looks like someone gets to go to the bounce house tomorrow. 

2 comments:

MHT said...

Now that is awesome!!!!!

Amy said...

Ah, aren't those little unexpected moments where you are predicting a meltdown, and a real, grown-up big boy moment happens such a joy?!

Great job Noah for being such a flexible, go-with-the-flow kinda kid! Awesome!