Sunday, January 29, 2012

Field Trip - Mounted Patrol

Noah had a field trip on Friday at the Houston Mounted Patrol facility.  Mounted Patrol aka the horse police.  Teachers had prepped the kids by telling them to bring apples, carrots, and peppermints to feed the horses.  We left the house with a big bag of apple slices and a smaller bag of leftover candy canes.  Noah held onto the bags of goodies the entire ride to the facility.  He was super excited.  We arrived early and waited to head out to the barns. 


We sat in the meeting room while a police officer acting as our tour guide went over the rules.  If you have read this blog for any length of time or you know me, you will know… not a big fan of animals.  So, the further along Mr. Policeman went into his talk the more my apprehension grew.  “To feed the horse, place the food in your hand and offer with a flat hand.”  Okay.  “The horses are well trained, but are still wild animals.”  Yikes.   “We have video surveillance if anything goes wrong.”  Awesome.  I am thinking to myself.   I will feed the horses and not project my fears onto my child.  I will feed these horses and not project my fears.  I will feed these horses.
Noah was excited and ready with his bag full of apples.
Until we got to the barn, all those big animals ready to eat out of little hands was a bit much.  To my credit, I did feed about four horses, and then felt the need to hand sanitize in a major way.  I was carrying Emma in the front carrier, so I didn’t feel comfortable helping Noah give it a try.  I think he was relieved.  We made a game of walking up and down the barn naming all the horses.  Noah would say, “and this one is…” And, I would read off the name on the plaque.  He was becoming a bit more comfortable in the barn, and I have been on enough of his school field trips to now that a bit of participation is required. 

Here is Mrs. J showing Noah how to feed the horse.
Notice her hand is above his.  She is an awesome teacher.  They did this several times. 
Now it is Noah’s turn.  Getting ready.
I know him well enough to read his body language.  Not liking it at all.
But, he did it, and then ran over to me, and said, “Momma, hold me.”  I know how you feel buddy.

After feeding the horses, we headed out the barn doors to watch a few tricks from one of the horses.  I have to admit, very impressive.  

Noah even had a chance to pet the horse... with Mrs. J's help of course.  Overall, it was a great field trip and I am super proud of Noah's participation. 

No comments: