About a year ago, I asked four of my very good friends, if they'd like to start an informal play group. I'd been part of playgroups before, active ones with lots of fun activities. Big groups with lots of different faces at each meet up. I decided that in order for Noah to make some friends, he needed repetition and consistency. So, I asked my friends. Seven kids. Five boys. Two girls. Once a week at a different house each time.
The kids have become close. I think it's been good for all of them. And, for us mom's too. It's pushed Noah a bit. And, he's grown a lot socially in the past year. He's definitely the loner of the group, but the kids are so sweet and either don't notice or don't mind the disconnect.
Today was our day to host. Noah is always super excited to "play with your friends," but usually when they're upstairs, he's down, when they're inside, he's out. But lately, he's been trying to connect a bit more. He's becoming more and more aware of the kids and more interested in playing what they are. As always with Noah, it a consistent move forward. Two great moments today:
One friend got upset because Noah was doing something. He started crying. Noah went up to him, and said, "M... Why are you sad?" (a script from Yo Gabba Gabba, Party in my Tummy, but completely appropriate) and "Are you ok, M?"
Second, another friend arrived late to the backyard wearing his cowboy boots and holding one of Noah's toy robots. I told Noah to tell him hello. He walked up to him and said, "Hi H! What are you wearing? Cowboy boots. Wow! And a robot. Cool." There was no pause or opportunity for H to respond, but definitely made me proud of my sweet boy and his attempt at socialization.
Time For Some Bowling!
15 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment