Thursday, March 8, 2012

Double Trouble and a Dose of Good News


The long dreaded GI appointment was today. I've thought about canceling it. With adding a little food (yogurt, fruit) and supplementing 4-6 ounces of formula a day, she was gaining a bit of weight. At least curving at the third percentile.

I took her to the regular pedi yesterday for a weight check. She's definitely been gaining, so I wanted someone to say it was ok to skip the gi appointment, if I wanted to. Instead, Emma left with a script for augmenton and a double ear infection diagnosis. Seriously, we both were feeling a bit crummy last week, but nothing like last time. And, clear snot, people. And, this week no symptoms. Happy. Baby. Sigh.

I decided to keep the GI appointment today, and I am really glad I did. Dr. K was great and didn't run a single test. Phew! He aaked some questions and let me talk. He said he sees this all the time, and 90% of babies just need a little help.

I left with a supplement called Duocal. It's has no taste and no texture. Just calories. He told me to put one teaspoon in her food three times a day. (Insert note to self. Time to feed Emma three times a day.) A teaspoon has 14 calories, so the added calories will be like adding a couple ounces of formula. He was very pro breastfeeding which was nice, and he thought with a bit more food with added supplement, I could get her back up to average in a couple months. Wouldn't that be nice.

I'm so glad I kept the appointment.

No comments: