Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I Love This Face

Noah was not in a good mood today. Yesterday was his 15 month well baby checkup. At what age to you stop calling them well baby checkups? Every day he is looking more and more like a toddler, especially with his new haircut, and he is leaving his baby days far behind. Anyway, yesterday was his well baby checkup, and he got shots... in his arm! I don't think I got shots in my arm until I was 18, but the doctor said that's where they go, so we listened to our doctor. Ouch. Poor Mister No.

I had been looking forward to this doctor's visit because it would be our first in Miami, and it would be a chance for me to voice my worries over the no talking. The nurse came in to take his stats, and he is a growing boy. No more worries about being too little. He weighed 25.5 lbs (50%). He measured 33 inches (90%)! And, his head circumference was 18 inches (holding steady in the tenth percentile).

I really liked our new doctor. It turns out she is childhood friends with one of the fellows with Dean. After we exchanged stories, she said, "OK. Let's talk about your son. Does he talk?"

Noah is walking around the exam room babbling away.

Doctor: "OK. He talks. Check."

Me: "Wait. Wait. Wait. He doesn't talk."

Doctor: "Sure he does. He's talking right now."

Me: "But he doesn't say any words, and he doesn't point, and he doesn't mimic."

Doctor: "Look," she said. "He's only 15 months. He's a boy. He's active. He's interacting with his environment. He's made eye contact with me several times. If he turns 18 months, and he is not pointing or mimicking or saying any words then we can worry, but right now... I'm not worried."

Wow. That was exactly what I needed to hear. My take home point... stop comparing him to other kids. Every kid is different, which of course I know, but it sure helps when your doctor confirms it.

1 comment:

Dr. Bec said...

Glad you got some reassurance. I can't understand most of what Henry says, so you are not allowed to worry yet!