Monday, August 9, 2010

Happy Birthday MaMa Gladys

There is longevity among the women in my family. Need some proof. Today is my grandmother's 90th birthday. Nine-zero.  And, I know at some point today, she'll get on her computer, check my blog, read this post, and probably check my grammar. Oh yeah, she's online.

MaMa (at 88) with a newborn Noah

She does a ton of stuff at ninety.  She drives, plays cards with friends, watches all the Saints games, does crosswords and sudoku, reads.  She even takes road trips to visit Noah.  Last time we talked, she was telling me a story about how she was having a craving for ice cream, so she stopped at McDonalds.  She went inside, ordered, and sat down to eat her ice cream.  For her, the point of the story was that she spilled and a nice young woman helped her with some napkins, but for me, I thought... how awesome to just be driving and think, you know what I want so ice cream, so I'm going to go get some, and I'm not going to eat it in my car just because I'm by myself.  I'm going to sit right here and enjoy it.  That's my grandmother.  She's indepenedent and strong and smart.  And, I am proud to be her grandaughter. 

According to reports from back home, she's starting off her 90th year with a bang, dinner out, lunch, cake. Lots of family and lots of celebrating.  As for me, I hope her birthday is filled with a win at the casino, a yummy lunch out, a win from the Braves and maybe a good book.  Happy Birthday MaMa Gladys.  I love you!

No comments: