Thursday, February 12, 2009

Hello Separation Anxiety. Welcome To Our House.

Another big change lately is the sudden appearance of separation anxiety in our house. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. It is not an exaggeration that up until about 3 weeks ago, Noah has spent 90% of the last six months with me and only me. I have even entertained the thought that the reason he hasn’t said Momma yet is that he seriously thinks we are the same person. So, with all the therapy sessions we are attending. with all the extra activities we are cramming in our day, and with all the extra Daddy time Noah has been getting the past couple weeks, I think he is finally starting to get that the world is filled with other people besides his Momma. Hence, the unhappiness when I leave without him.

The funniest moment happened over the weekend. Dean was going out to run an errand and was taking Noah with him. They went through the routine of diaper change and shoes and were just about to head out the door, when I called out goodbye to them. Noah realized that I wasn’t going with them, and he ran over to me for me to pick him up. Dean was calling him from the door, “come on buddy, let’s go,” and I was still not moving from my spot in the kitchen, and he was so torn… wanting to go with Daddy, but so sad that Momma wasn’t coming to. He ended up going with Dean, and he was fine, but there was a slight meltdown before leaving.

It was so bad on Sunday that the act of Dean putting Noah in his carseat and then walking around the car to get in the front produced crocodile tears. I am pretty sure this is normal and the progression of things, but I am so not used to these tears and meltdowns.

No comments: