Thursday, February 7, 2008

Noah 1, Momma 0

Remember when I totally thought I had it all together. Two naps a day. Check. Sleeping in his own room. Check. Regular bed time. Falling asleep on his own. Check. Check. Well, things happened. A bad cold, faux teething, (Oh yes, still no teeth, but it counts as a thing because it makes me very sympathetic), lots of traveling, etc. Now, he is still taking two naps a day and has a pretty regular bedtime, but unless he is in the car, he only goes to sleep nursing. I keep telling myself that it is not really that big of a deal. I mean, eventually he will go to sleep on his own. And, I really don't mind, but tonight... well, I needed a break. So, I decided I was going to let him cry it out... again. Crying it out. It is such a painful thing. Why couldn't I have just had to do this once. I know what you are thinking, Mom? Why not rock him to sleep? Well, he hates to rock. He pretty much gets sleepy and his mind thinks boob. So, back to tonight. Long day, so I wanted to feed him and put him down. He was having no part of it. He didn't even feel like nursing, so I decided I would just put him down. So, I did. The tears started. Actually, it was more like hysterical crying, sort of muffled since he had rolled over to his stomach and scooted in the corner, but that is a totally different post. I waited 15 minutes. Thinking he must be about to stop. Nope. Still going. I go in to check. Find him in the said corner. I have to pick him up and roll him over. He hates being on his tummy. Hates it. So, I comfort him for a few minutes and then put him back down. More sobbing. I sit listening to the monitor. I figure that if he is going to cry and be upset, I might as well listen and suffer too. I waited another 10 minutes. I know you are supposed to wait longer each time, but I just couldn't bear it. So, I pick him up, and I just go ahead and nurse him. I have already been trying to get him down for an hour. He still doesn't fall asleep. So, now I have a choice. Do I keep him up for a little while? Or do I try to put him down again? I am unsure because I know he won't like it, and he is so going to cry. Choice made. Wide awake. Down he goes. Wouldn't you know it? He rolls onto his side. No crying. And, goes to sleep. Sigh. That little boy... he totally has my number.

No comments: