Friday, December 12, 2008

All By Myself

Tonight Noah ate with a spoon all by himself. He didn't want to, and he resisted a lot at the beginning, but I I think once he got going, he actually liked it. I put a small bowl of yogurt in front of him and stuck a spoon in it. For a little while, he just stared at it. He knew what to do because we've been practicing, but this time I decided I wasn't helping. So, I started unloading the dishwasher. From the corner of my eye, I could see him sticking a finger in it, and then his hand. I saw him smear it all over the bottom of his highchair tray. This is where I would normally step in, but I decided that in the interest of learning a new skill, I was going to ignore the mess. I did walk over, and tell him to grab his spoon and take a bite. Instead of reaching out for his spoon, he opened his mouth for me to feed him a bite. Hmmm... tricky. I decided not to, and instead, I just put his hand on the spoon, and guided it into his mouth. After a couple of bites with my help, I let him be. He definitely has his own method to spoon feeding, but I think he is getting the hang of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY!! Noah's a Southy! I'm so proud! - Steph